Friday 7 October 2011

36) My Island Vacation

    “My Vacation”
    This summer my parents and I went to this little Greek island without a name. My Uncle owns it and it has an old castle on it. Mom was really excited, and a little weird, when the key to the place came in the mail. It looked exactly like those old fashioned keys in horror movies, big and rough.
    We flew to Sicily the next day. They served sushi on the plane. It was really tasty. I didn’t think I would like it, but after I had the egg one I was hooked. Even the seaweed was good.
    When we landed in Sicily Dad had arranged for us to drive to the coast, not in our normal limo, but in a rickety old truck. It smelled like goats, but I was so tired I slept the whole way and didn’t wake up until we were at the pier. It was already dark and Mom gave me this really cool torch, it was small but very bright.
    I guess the owner of the boat didn’t want to take us to the island because it was just Dad and Mom and I that went out the next morning, really early. Mom and Dad argued about it a lot before we actually ended up sleeping in the boat. He said it would be too dangerous to go at night. She didn’t want to sleep there, but Dad said that eveyone was so tired it wouldn’t matter and it was warm anyways. I didn’t care, I thought it was really cool. I went to the side of the boat and used my torch on the water. I thought I saw fish in there.
    When morning came around Mom had been a clumsy one and had a black eye. She had fallen into one of the winches. I got her some ice from the cooler and tried to make her feel better. The sun was just coming up and the sky was all oranges and purple.
    It took about a few hours to get to the island. Everyone was really quiet. Mom wanted to hug me a lot.
    There wasn’t much on the island its self, not even any goats. I played around in the ruins. I don’t understand why there was a key at all, there weren’t any doors. Maybe it was for something else. I don’t know. Mom or Dad wouldn’t tell me what it was for and I didn’t see it again. Maybe it was magic?
    We left after a few hours. Dad was all dirty like he had been rolling around in the mud like a doggie, but he had a really big smile. Mom was just sad. She’s sad a lot these days. I try to cheer her up, but I don’t know what to say.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment